Friday, August 04, 2006

Darn Barn

I still haven't received feedback from FAS on my first assignment. I think it's been a little more than two weeks since I sent it in. The course recommends that you continue onto the next lesson while waiting but not to do that lesson's assignments (so that you can incorporate the feedback).

Well, I'm too impatient.

Considering that these first 2 lessons are mainly about getting familiar with the materials, I'm not sure how relevant the feedback will be to this lesson's assignments. Perhaps, I'll be surprised!

Lesson 2 has another two-part assignment - create a transparent, black-only watercolor of a barn and silo and then create a black/grey/white gouache painting of a lighthouse. I'm posting the barn here, I haven't worked on the lighthouse yet.

One important lesson I learned while working on this assignment was how important it is to have the correct lighting in your workspace. I use a little tabletop easel on my dining room table. There is a hanging light over the table. It was a constant battle to keep the paper angled but not throw shadows on the paper. The barn roof and side aren't as smooth as I'd like because of this (I kept losing track of the puddle of wash). I'm going to look into getting a clip-on light to put on the easel.

1 comment:

Jerry Keslensky said...

Hi Jimmy,
I like the barn. We use OTT-Lite light fixtures which provide a really nice natural light in our studio. They are a bit pricey but really work nicely. -JK

http://www.ottlite.com/