Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Plan Of Action Update

As I wait for FAS to send me feedback on my first assignment, I've been doing some thinking about the non-animation part of my self study.

The FAS course isn't as intense as I imagined it would be so I'm also going to work through a book called Gardner's Guide to Drawing for Animation. The book will start as a refresher on basic drawing skills, especially where structure and perspective are concerned and then continue on to cover aspects of the human figure geared towards animation: simple poses, design and simplification, and storytelling. The book should also help prepare me for when I get to the figure drawing portion of the FAS course and can get some feedback on what I'm doing (wrong).

UPDATE 8/18:
After starting into the Gardner book, I realized that a lot of it is still life drawing. Not a bad thing per se, just not the sort of thing I want to work on now. So I brooded for a while and then did more research. Glenn Vilppu's Drawing Manual kept popping up as recommended and after seeing a picture of the cover, it looked familiar. No wonder, I soon realized I had bought the book a few years back but never used it (I can't remember why not)! So I anxiously dug through some boxes hoping I hadn't donated it. Found it! I flipped through it and yep, it'll be good for me right now. Better late than never.

No comments: